Quote of the Day #10

"I am not a scholar of English or literature. I cannot give you much more than personal opinions on the english language and its variations in this country or others."

Although this is the first two sentences of the writing by Amy Tan, I feel that it represents a lot of what she has to say. The way that people speak not just around the world but even just in different households and communities is all so different. In terms of english, people have their own slang, their own words, even if it is just for comedic use, and sometimes their own dialect of english. I would say that the way that Amy Tan speaks to her family in a "broken english" is just another dialect. It is not inherently wrong to speak that way, it is just a bit confusing to people who don't. And even then, it is still understandable when thinking about it. I believe that she is trying to say that no one is a true scholar of english in the public sense, but when thinking about our own true language, we are our own scholars of literature for our own languages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labor journal week 14

book club response 3