'Habits of the Creative Mind' RESPONSE Prompt 4: Confronting the Unknown
An unexpected event that has happened in my life is my health issues that changed my whole middle school experience. I've always had health issues with my stomach ever since I was young, needing to go in every 3 months for small operations for a few years. But after a while they seemed to die down and I was okay for a little bit.
But in middle school an unexpected and completely new issue came about. I had to go in to the hospital quite a few times and stayed for about a month after one operation. Although going to the hospital wasn't all that bad, I definitely missed out on a lot of my whole middle school experience and it did change my middle school life as a whole.
I would say that missing basically a whole year of middle school held me back academically because of how much I missed. I already wasn't the best student so coming back for my 8th grade year was pretty hard for me academically.
The whole hospital experience wasn't all that bad though, missing school for that long in my mind was a good thing. No homework, tests, or grades to worry about all the time. I spent most of my tie laying in bed watching t.v or youtube, or went to the game room to play videogames. When you take away all the iv's and the fact that I couldn't eat for a month it wasn't that bad. It was like a vacation.
Thankfully all of my teachers were very considerate and didn't make me do tons of makeup work or tests. I came back to school and it was a bit to catch up but not as much as I thought it would be. Socially, things were not too bad either. I went back to my friends and fit in well considering I was gone for almost a year. Everyone was pretty nice to me and sympathetic about my situation which was also nice. After a while everything went back to normal and I had to worry about school work again. But luckily I was put in an academic studies class to help me catch up with things and help me with homework and tests.
My whole middleschool experience and I suppose my health issues in general have been one of the most unexpected things to happen in my life. I think I have grown from my experiences and actually am kind of grateful for my health problems. Without them I wouldn't have met so many great people in the hospitals and experience all the things I did that made me who I am today.
Your story was really touching and it really shows the beauty of sympathy, such as that of your teachers, where they were helped to not overwhelm you with work after the hard year that you had.
ReplyDelete